NTNU I GJØVIK
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Manufacturing and Civil Engineering
Our profile of expertise can help to solve the world's most important societal challenge: the development of sustainable solutions in industry and society. This profile includes research on modern industrial processes, use of new and recycled materials, new technological solutions and the application of new forms of organization and business models. The Department of Manufacturing and Civil Engineering is one of eight departments in the Faculty of Engineering.
PhD position in Signal Processing and Sensor Fusion for Human Activity Recognition and Localization
Jobbnorge ID: 174815
This is NTNU
At NTNU, creating knowledge for a better world is the vision that unites our 7 000 employees and 40 000 students.
We are looking for dedicated employees to join us.
About the position
We have a vacancy for a PhD Candidate at Department of Manufacturing and Civil Engineering.
The goal of the PhD position is to conduct a fundamental research for developing novel indoor human activity recognition and localization techniques utilizing acoustic sensor measurements. In addition, sensor fusion techniques will be developed for combining the acoustic sensor data with other sensor measurements (such as radio frequency signals) for cooperative activity sensing and localization purposes.
The position reports to Head of Department.
Main duties and responsibilities
Potential research topics for the PhD thesis include, but are not limited to the following:
- Develop acoustic signal processing algorithms for human activity recognition.
- Develop 3D localization techniques using acoustic sensor data from microphone arrays with beamforming capabilities.
- Develop methods for sensor fusion of acoustic data with other sensor measurements (such as RF signals for activity recognition) for cooperative sensing purposes.
- Measurement, analysis, modeling of acoustic signals in the presence of multiple active persons.
The PhD-position's main objective is to qualify for work in research positions. The qualification requirement is completion of a master's degree or second degree (equivalent to 120 credits) with a strong academic background in Electrical Engineering, signal processing, radio communication, ICT or equivalent education with a grade of B or better in terms of NTNU's grading scale. Applicants with no letter grades from previous studies must have an equally good academic foundation. Applicants who are unable to meet these criteria may be considered only if they can document that they are particularly suitable candidates for education leading to a PhD degree.
To be considered for the position, applicants must have:
- Master in Electrical Engineering, signal processing, radio communication, ICT or related fields with a grade of B or better in terms of NTNU's grading scale.
- Strong academic credentials, written and spoken English proficiency.
- Excellent knowledge in mathematics, especially in signal processing.
- Good experience in sensor data collection and analysis.
- Strong programming skills and years of experience in using mathematical and numerical tools such as MATLAB.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and national guidelines for appointment as PhD, postdoctor and research assistant English version
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
Good written and oral English language skills
Proficiency in English language written and communication skills is a prerequisite. The candidate is expected to be fluent in written and oral English language skills. Candidates from universities outside Scandinavia and English-speaking countries are kindly requested to document English language proficiency (TOEFL, IELTS, Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) or Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE)).
- TOEFL: 600 (paper-based test), 92 (Internet-based test)
- IELTS: 6.5, with no section lower than 5.5 (only Academic IELTS test accepted)
- CAE/CPE: grade B or A.
- personal suitability
- good teamwork skills
- proactive approach
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal suitability, as well as motivation, in terms of the qualification requirements specified in the advertisement
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
- A friendly workplace with research-oriented, dedicated academics.
- Main workplace at NTNU Gjøvik located 120km north of Oslo.
- Possibility for mobility to industry and/or abroad.
- Attractive schemes for housing loan, insurance and pensions in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
Salary and conditions
PhD candidates are remunerated in code 1017, and are normally remunerated at gross from NOK 479 600 before tax per year. From the salary, 2 % is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 3 years. Appointment to a PhD position requires admission to the PhD programme in Engineering
As a PhD candidate, you undertake to participate in an organized PhD programme during the employment period. A condition of appointment is that you are in fact qualified for admission to the PhD programme within three months.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criterias in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
The Faculty of Engineering wants to attract outstanding and creative candidate who can contribute to our strategic ongoing research activities. We believe that diversity is important to achieve a good, inclusive working environment and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply, regardless of gender, disability or cultural background. Under the Freedom of Information Act (offentleglova), information about the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to have their name entered on the list of applicants.
Questions about the position can be directed to Prof. Michael Cheffena , phone number 0047 4522 6765, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
About the application:
The following must be included in the application:
Curriculum vitae (including a list of publications, if any).
Certified copy of transcripts and diplomas with grades from post graduate studies
Statement of Purpose (max. 2 pages) including:
- A short presentation of the motivation for a PhD student.
- How the applicant sees his/her background suitable for the position.
- The applicant's view of research challenges within the area of the PhD position.
Names and contact details of at least 2 reference persons.
A copy of the master thesis (in PDF), or, for those who are near to completion of their MSc, an extended abstract combined with a statement of how and when the applicant plans to complete the thesis (1 page).
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Nominations and applications will be considered until the position is filled.
Publications and other academic works that the applicant would like to be considered in the evaluation must accompany the application. Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify the individual applicant's contribution to joint works, the applicant must include a brief description of his or her contribution.
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applicants invited for interview must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters. Please refer to the application number IV-226/19 when applying.
Anticipated starting date is 6 January 2020.
Application deadline: 30 September 2019
Se annonsen og søk på stillingen www.jobbnorge.no PAM
Stillingsnummer: 0502-2019-09-10 (Oppgis ved kontakt med NAV)
Kilde: Overført fra PAM annonsemottak